Last mill standing

* * *

Originally, there were a total of five windmills in Lauenburg, handling the region’s corn.
This particular one though is the last specimen still turning its sails.

 

Although powered electrically nowadays, the landmark seems unaltered and stands proud in front of the historical city sceneries’ backdrop. It is the highest and most southern vantage point of Schleswig-Holstein and houses a museum since 1985.
 

THE WINDMILL MUSEUM

The pulse of the past

* * *


All the components of our windmill were carefully restored and are (in theory)
fully functional. Visit our museum to see, touch and feel a 19th century miller’s
everyday life joys and quirks first-handed.

 

Visit the past in our mill gallery and follow the timeline to our roof terrace to witness
the city’s magnificient present.

 

Our museum is open all day from 11 am on, with plenty of car and bus parking spaces available.
Feel free to contact us anytime via phone or message.

* * *

1871 / 73

The windmill rises

With the mill completed in 1873, its sails turned a good 53 years before they were lost in a windstorm of 1926. The grinder however kept on working – powered by a diesel engine first and later, electrically.

History

A landmark’s life

* * *

1871 / 73

The windmill rises

With the mill completed in 1873, its sails turned a good 53 years before they were lost in a windstorm of 1926. The grinder however kept on working – powered by a diesel engine first and later, electrically.

* * *

1960

A new owner

In 1960, master miller Weber acquired the windmill from Willi Kampff and followed his predecessor’s flour production footsteps for another 25 years, until he and his wife repurposed the building.

* * *

1985

Restored and Repurposed

Rolf und Emmi Weber completely reimagined the windmill’s concept by adding a restaurant whilst restoring the historical substance to be used as a museum.

* * *

1995

The Hotel

In 1993, new sails were being attached to the structure and two years later, a 70-bed hotel arises next to the mill, creating the silhouette it is known for today. It becomes a popular insider tip for travelers and for private and business events.

* * *

2007

A New Generation

In 2007, Walter Weber-Niemann undertakes the mill’s and hotel’s management.
 

Our Partner

* * *

Stars
Designation

Touist

Standard

Comfort

First class

De Luxe

ADDRESS

Bergstraße 17

21481 Lauenburg/Elbe

Phone: +49 (0)4153 589 0

Fax: +49 (0)4153 589 156

kontakt(at)hotel-lauenburger-muehle.de 

zahlungsart_bar.jpg
zahlungsart_ec.jpg
zahlungsart_mastercard.jpg
zahlungsart_maestro.jpg
zahlungsart_visa.jpg
OPENING HOURS

Mill museum - daily from 11:00 am

Restaurant - daily 11:30 - 22:00 o’clock
Kitchen - Mo - Do 11:30 - 14:00 o’clock
and 17:00 - 22:00 o’clock
Fr - So 11:30 - 22:00 o’clock
Reception - täglich 7:00 - 22:00 o’clock

check-in 15:00 – 20:00 o’clock

check-out 07:00 – 11:00 o’clock
 

Having trouble arriving within our
business hours? Inform us in advance
and we will find a solution.

© 2019 by Lauenburger Mühle. Created by K2 Konzept GmbH